Pages

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup (From scratch!)

I'm not a fan of ingredients in ready made things, and I hate when recipes claim to be 'healthy' and then have you using a package mix here, a can of soup here, etc. Those things are more than likely full of preservatives, undesirable ingredients, and the sodium content? Oh good grief, the sodium content! Nobody needs that much sodium!

Luckily, it's super easy to make your own! The following recipe makes the amount shown below (a bit over 2 cups) when made with the heavy cream as specified. You can make it with milk if you prefer.



The following recipe can be altered as needed. If you don't have heavy cream, change it to 1 1/2c of milk and add another 1/4c flour. This will change the consistency from below, but add just 1/2 cup (if using milk) in step 1 and then the rest mixed in with flour in step 2. I didn't add salt because this simply doesn't need it for the flavour, though if you do, I would recommend only a tiny bit and I'd suggest sea salt. How's THAT for low sodium?

Cream of Chicken Soup (From Scratch)

- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry, seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup flour

1) Combine seasoning, 1/4 cup heavy cream, and broth in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.

2) While the pan is heating, whisk together remaining 3/4 cup of heavy cream and ½ cup of flour (will be a very thick, doughy clump when mixed).

3) Add doughy mixture to boiling mixture, stirring constantly.

4) Turn down burner, still stirring, until fully dissolved.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recipe! I'm so glad because some recipes I've tried out recently call for cream of chicken soup and the end product tastes good but when I plop it out of the can I get a little sick to my stomach with the looks of it. Your cream of chicken soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love making my own. I, too, cringe at the *plop* from the can!

      Delete