Last night I ventured out of my comfort zone. I never liked ham, and about eight years ago I cut any form of pork out of my diet. I was happy that way. Didn't miss the flavour, didn't miss the smell, didn't miss any of it. Then I got pregnant with Squiggle, and suddenly needed to have bacon. It wasn't a desire for a small piece here or there, it was a massive craving. I would eat 1/2 a package to a whole package at a time. I'm not joking.
Enter this recipe: Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes & Ham. I bought a little bit of ham from the local co-op. I was thrilled that I actually knew the farm it came from, and loved the fact it had no nitrates or sugar added.
We used the thin slice setting on our Mandoline Slicer , and sliced the potatoes. I placed those in a bowl with a damp paper towel over the top of them to help keep them from browning while I diced the onions, made the roux, and sliced up the ham. I buttered the inside of the glass dish I was using and set it aside.
After the roux was made, I grabbed a handful of potatoes and covered the bottom of the dish. Put sauce on and spread it out. Potatoes. Sauce. Etc. Probably in three layers. After the last bit of sauce on top, I sprinkled the remaining cheese, covered, and baked.
|Ready to cover and go in the oven!|
The bulk of the time goes to shredding the potatoes. Once it's in the oven, you're good to go!
If you plan on making stock, don't forget to set aside the onion and potato peels. The scraps of ham can be set aside, too, if you want to make a ham stock. I set these aside, put in a freezer bag (labeled), and threw them in the freezer to add to as I get more.
EVERYONE loved the dish. I made some green beans to accompany it. Not only did everyone devour it, but husband didn't say it was really good, he said, "This is delicious!". Yay!
Scalloped Potatoes & Ham (Cheesy)
· 6 red potatoes, thinly sliced
· 1 small onion, chopped
· 1 clove garlic, minced
· 1 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
· 2 cups cubed/chopped/shredded fully cooked ham
· 1 pint heavy cream
· 4 T. butter
· 1/4c. Flour
· 1/4t. freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
- Sautee onion and garlic w/1T. butter until soft.
- Add rest of butter (3 divided in tablespoons) and melt, then add in flour to make roux.
- Add in heavy cream, continuously stirring to prevent cream from burning. Once thickened (about 2-3 minutes) reduce heat to low.
- Add 1c. cheese, stirring until cheese is fully melted/incorporated.
- Turn off burner and stir in ham and black pepper.
- Add about 1/3 of the potatoes to the greased baking dish. Cover with sauce. Repeat 2x.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2c. cheese over the top of the potatoes and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1 hour, then remove aluminum foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
Disclaimer: Thoughts Of Fluff was not compensated in anyway for this post. All opinions are my own and may differ from those of your own. Post contains affiliate links.