Pages

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Beer Battered Fish (Original Recipe)

I'm a very picky eater, and my poor husband has had to deal with this since we got together. He enjoys fish. I've always hated fish (unless you can make it not taste like fish), though I have also always enjoyed Fish 'n chips. Go figure. Part of that is that the fish is beer battered, the other part being that it is usually not a very 'strong' tasting fish.



It's hit or miss finding fish for me, though the local grocery has a wonderful meat/seafood department and the workers there are always super helpful and love making suggestions. When I was recommended to try the fresh Icelandic Cod, I went for it. Cod generally fries up decently. What I didn't expect was how delicious this cod is. Seriously, delicious. Apparently the Arctic water really helps with that, as it's pretty pure. Nice.

I am now obsessed with getting the Icelandic Cod whenever I can convince hubby to whip up some delicious beer batter. Oh, yes. The other part of this post.... THE BEER BATTER. Hubby created a beer batter recipe on his own that I love. We've tried it with a few beers and found that heffeweisen or a pilsner work the best. Better yet, especially on the pocket book, Labatt Blue is delicious in this. You don't have to go expensive to make a good beer batter! The beer batter is essential to me, as I LOVE a good beer batter. Unfortunately, box mixes have so much garbage in them it isn't funny, and I don't want garbage being fed to my kids.

Luckily for everyone, this is super easy, super delicious, and has minimal ingredients.

Beer Batter

1/2c flour
1t baking powder
1t salt
1T paprika
8-12oz beer (heffeweisen or pilsner are our preferred)
*Hubby has determined that 10oz is his favourite amount of beer to use thus far.

Beer Battered Fish

- 2 lbs. Fresh Cod cut into strips lengthwise
- Coconut or Sunflower oil (Enough to cover half way up the fish – amount varies depending on size of pan)
  1. Mix ingredients together in a bowl
  2. Lightly coat fish in corn starch
  3. Heat oil (sunflower or coconut oil) in a frying pan
  4. Dredge fish in the batter and put in hot pan
  5. Fry fish until batter is dark brown and flip over to fry other side (roughly 7 minutes total, though varies for the thickness of the fish)
  6. Place on a paper plate (lined with paper towel to help absorb the grease) and add the next strips of fish.
  7. Repeat until fish is cooked
Batter makes enough for coating approximately 2 pounds of fish.







 The best part about this recipe is that the kids both devoured this. It's a great flavour in the batter, and everyone is happy! Bobble even asked for seconds!


If you try this recipe out, please let me know how you liked it! Feel free to share, though please do give credit to Thoughts Of Fluff in your shares.

No comments:

Post a Comment