Looking for something simple and delicious to throw together for dinner? With minimal ingredients, and even less prep work, this recipe is a great way to get dinner ready without the use of bag or box mixes.
Dice your onion:
Cube your chicken breast!
Add homemade cream of chicken soup (very easy to make, and without the garbage added into the canned stuff!)
Stir in corn (we had grilled corn on the cob the night before, so we cut it off the cob and just stirred that in):
Cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Add in rice and (rinsed) beans, stirring well. Add in cheese and stir up, letting it cook another 30 minutes or so (just to warm the newly added ingredients and melt the cheese). Serve up hot and top with freshly chopped green onion (if desired).
Cheesy Chicken Crockpot Casserole
- 1 lb. chicken breast, cubed
- 2 cups corn
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups cream of chicken (give or take... I used a bit more than 2 cups, or one batch of this recipe)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ (dry) cups rice (which is 2 scoops in our rice cooker) *can make ahead the day before
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can black beans
- Diced green onion to top (optional)
- Dice onion and put in the bottom of the crock pot
- Cut chicken breast into cubes and place atop the onions
- Cover chicken and onions with cream of chicken mixture
- Add corn and ½ cup of milk to crockpot and stir well
- Cover and turn on to low heat for 6 hours
- An hour before eating, start the rice in a rice cooker.
- Add cooked rice to crock pot as soon as it is done and stir in, along with the black beans and cheddar cheese.
- Let cook another 30 minutes.
- Serve topped with fresh green onion (optional)
Tip: For a bit of a kick, add 1 teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper to the mixture before cooking, or add in some diced chilies along with the corn.
Rice can be made ahead and just added 30 minutes before serving instead of cooking and adding.