I have a bunch of canned beans, and I am forever looking for new recipes to use them up. In an attempt at a meatless dish, I decided to try to make a variation of a black bean salad I found online.
I had to change it up due to some ingredients I had on hand not being good (like corn being black at the cob when I cut it... something I had never seen and it looked fine from the outside), but it turned out great for our family. We ate this over rice (warm) and we ate this with tortilla chips (cold). Everyone loved it, it was easy to make, and healthy. Enjoy!
Black Bean Salad
- 1 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ear fresh cooked corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 1 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots, from one medium shallot
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 9 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (be sure to zest limes before juicing them)
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 2 Hass avocados, chopped
Combine all ingredients except for avocados in a large bowl and mix well.
Cover and chill for a few hours or overnight.
Right before serving, add avocados and mix gently, being careful not to mash avocados.
Garnish with a more chopped cilantro if desired.
Serve at room temperature.
adapted from: My Balanced Plate
|Mixed (sans avocado) and ready to chill!|
|Chopping Avocado to add into our bowls|
Disclaimer: Thoughts of Fluff was not compensated for this post. All opinions are my own and may differ from those of your own. Post contains affiliate links.