Pages

Monday, February 2, 2015

Loaded Potato Soup

My kids and I are huge fans of potatoes, though hubby isn't the biggest fan. Still, I had to try this loaded potato soup when I saw a recipe for it. Even hubby thought it sounded good, so that was a perk.



I tweaked the recipe some, especially since it didn't give a guesstimate weight for the potatoes and potatoes vary in size, but there are still some recommendations I would make different than what I did. Please see recommendations at the bottom of the recipe.

This is the recipe as I made it:

Loaded Potato Soup
variation of this Momspotted recipe

  • 3# golden potatoes (peeled and cubed)
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 4 cloves minced garlic
  • 1t pepper
  • 4c chicken stock
  • 1.5c heavy cream
  • Shredded cheddar cheese
  • Crumbled bacon
  • Dried chives to garnish
1) Add potatoes, onion, garlic, chicken stock, and pepper to crock pot. Cook on low for 7 hours.

2) Add heavy cream and puree using an immersion blender. Cook on low for another 30 minutes.


3) Add desired toppings and enjoy!

Don't mind my ancient, burned-up counter top. It's on the "replacement" waiting list!



RECOMMENDATIONS:

- First, I thought this tasted good, but more like onion than not. I would strongly recommend using have the amount of onion, or even completely omitting the onion in the soup and just using chopped green onions atop the soup as a garnish.

-Another alternative would be sauteing onion slices and adding them to the soup as you puree (to add a different flavour), or dicing the onions, sauteing, and adding as a garnish on top.

- The cheese on top was good, but I really think it could have used some cheese inside the soup, especially with omission of the onion.

I would recommend something more along these lines:

Loaded Potato Soup



  • 3# golden potatoes (peeled and cubed)
  • 1/4c chopped onion (or complete omission of onion)
  • 4 cloves minced garlic
  • 1t pepper
  • 4c chicken stock
  • 1.5c heavy cream
  • 2c shredded cheddar


  • Garnish

  • Shredded cheddar cheese
  • Crumbled bacon
  • Chopped fresh green onion
  • Greek yogurt or Sour cream


  • Same instructions except I would add the 2c shredded cheddar after pureeing the soup, stir well, and let cook another 30min on low. 

    Disclaimer: Thoughts of Fluff was not compensated for this post. All opinions are my own and may differ from those of your own.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment