Pages

Monday, April 11, 2016

Connect 4 (Game Review)

While looking for something in the basement, I noticed our games that we set aside. Games like Scrabble, Boggle, and other games we had played before having children. We don't have the time for Scrabble much these days, and Boggle will likely come back out as Bobble learns to spell. One game caught my eye though: Connect 4.




 I cannot believe I forgot we had Connect 4! Not a board game, and not a card game, I thought it would be a great option to introduce to Bobble. It was something different, it involved strategizing, and it was fairly quick. He had recently learned how to play tic-tac-toe, so I thought he'd grasp the concept fairly simply.

He is quite smitten with the game. Well, to be fair, he is quite smitten with any game right now. Still, he loves this game, and I love how quickly we can play it.

The newest version of Connect 4 apparently has red and yellow discs/checkers. The base is also slightly different, just containing the legs on the side (like the original version had). I prefer our version, as it prevents the discs from going all over when you release them. I have a 2 year old and a 5 year old, I don't need help losing pieces!



The game comes with 21 of each colour disc, the slider bar, the grid, and the two legs. It's easy to just put it together, and this is made quite apparent by the fact Bobble does it himself every time.

We are not the kind of parents who are going to go easy on their children and let them win, so a skill game, like this, is not an easy win for Bobble. That's not to say that we are mean about it. Especially while teaching the game, we will explain our move, and what we are hoping to accomplish. I'll say that I put a piece in this place because I only need one more piece over in this spot and I will have four in a row and win. This helps him see the logic. He frequently loses to me via the two-way trap where if he blocks me from winning, I play atop that disc and still win. It's totally a set up.

Playing against his uncle
You might think that sounds mean, but it's taking longer and longer for me to win because he's getting better and better. He's also beaten me with that exact same strategy. He learns quickly!

Playing against his uncle
Connect 4 is a great game, but it is only a 2 player game. This is not a big deal for us since it's so quick, we just take turns. It's great for those times where there is only one other person to play with him, as some games aren't much fun with only two people. This is a great alternative. It says it's for children age 6 and up, though that is obviously not a necessity if your child isn't going to put the pieces in their mouth and they understand counting.

Beaming after the first time he beat his daddy.

You can find Connect 4 at any general retailer for around $10. There is also a travel version (which I've never played) that runs about $7. I imagine Bobble would love a travel version, but I cannot foresee the pieces not getting jammed into seats and lost. Maybe if they were older.

No reading is required for this game, though being able to count to four is required.

Disclaimer: Thoughts of Fluff is responsible for the content of this post. Connect 4 was purchased by me and all opinions are my own and may differ from those of your own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment