Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Flats & Handwashing Challenge - Day 4

Day 4 of the 4th Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge is all about wash routines

I already told you guys how I washed my diapers in day 2's post, but since I just did it again this morning, a little run down wouldn't hurt. (for all the pictures, check the linked post above)

I stopped using a diaper pail liner since I was using my pail as a wash tub. Save a step, right?

I fill up my pail (full of all the dirty items) with hot water, and let it soak while I eat breakfast or what not. I let it soak for 30 minutes to 1 hour.

I agitate (with my hands) for a few minutes before I take and drain the water out. I add some (dissolved) tiny bubbles detergent and fill it back up with hot water (as hot as I can handle).



Cue more agitation with my hands and rubbing a poopy flat under the water against itself. (yes, I know, that IS agitation... but I targeted that particular diaper since it was the only poopy one!)

I did this until the water needed to be emptied, filled with hot water again, agitated, emptied. Filled, agitated, water was clear, started rinsing.

I rinsed/agitated in the bucket, but my FINAL rinsing before hanging to dry was done under running water. I do the same thing with dishes and my husband hates it. He says it wastes too much water. I, personally, don't like bringing dishes up through whatever is floating on top (grease, particles, or soap) and calling it 'clean'. Same with my diapers. I don't have the water POURING out of the faucet, though, just running enough to do the job.

I hand wrung the items and tossed them into a clean laundry basket waiting outside the tub. One. By. One. After that, I hung them up on my octopus hanger and now they are drying while I have the day ahead of me! Of course, had I washed them yesterday instead of opting to wash every other day, they would have been outside in the sunshine and gentle breeze. It's supposed to rain again today, though.

My cleaning seemed to be decent, as we had no smell issues with any of the diapers I first handwashed. Yay!

How is this week going for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment