Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Earth’s Best Country Vegetable Chicken Soup


With Bobble being introduced to food via Baby-led Weaning, we encountered a first this past week. Since one of the many items sent to us by Earth’s Best was jarred baby food, we thought we’d feed it to him to test it out. I can honestly say that, at 18 months, that was the first jar of baby food I ever popped the seal on to give to him. That aside, he has had stew and soups before, and that’s what we were sent! He ate a jar of Earth’s Best 3rd Soups – Country Vegetable Chicken



So there is the obvious awesomeness that comes with it being Earth’s Best Organic like being made from organic vegetables, having no growth hormones, antibiotics, steroids or potentially harmful pesticides or herbicides, having no artificial colourings, flavouings, or preservatives, and containing 4 grams of fiber AND 4 grams of protein per serving. Lots of perks there! Another thing I loved about this soup was how simple it was. There are only 7 ingredients. SEVEN! It’s so nice seeing so few ingredients on something that’s ready-to-eat.

This soup also has some “hearty texture” that is supposed to help babies transition from purees to whole foods more easily. Bobble didn’t like the texture, however, and I have NO idea why! The only texture I saw in it was a couple tiny diced (cubed) pieces of carrot. He would eat a spoonful, then slowly spit out a tiny cube of carrot. It very much reminded me of when you try to hide a pill in food for a cat or dog, and they eat the food and then just spit out the pill. I thought that maybe it was just too tough for him to chew (as it was later in the evening and he wanted to put for zero effort into chewing anything because he was just that close to falling asleep), so I took the cube from his tray and put it in the lid of the jar. I have him another spoonful, then I went to try and cut the carrot up. It squashed like nothing else. It was super soft, Bobble just didn’t want to chew. Lazy little boy! I fed it to him again (smooshed a bit) and he ate it. For every little carrot chunk he was fed, it started to work its way out of his mouth and I would just wipe the spoon across his lips and put it right back in. It took about 3 swoops per carrot piece, but he ate them. I thought it was mighty silly of him, though, as they were perfectly cooked to be easy on any babe! If he had zero teeth he would have been able to chomp up that carrot just fine!

While we used Baby-led weaning for our food introduction method, I understand that it doesn’t work for everyone (including that some people have never even heard of it!)… so if you are feeding your little ones with pouch/jarred food and you’re looking for a transitional food for textures, I would definitely recommend trying out the Earth’s Best 3rd foods! The textured portions (at least of this flavour) were so simple to mash that I can’t see any child having an issue (teeth or not). While they have 4 flavours of their 3rd Soups, they have many different varieties of Earth’s Best 3rd foods that you could get for your little one like vegetable medleys, fruits, and dinners. 

These, along with many other Earth’s Best products, can be purchased online from the Earth’s Best Store, from Amazon.com, numerous other online retailers, or you can use the Earth’s Best Store Locator to find a retailer near you!

Disclosure: The product mentioned above was sent to me by the company in exchange for a review. This did not influence my opinion of the product in any way. My opinions are my own and may differ from those of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment